Macho Man
[img]http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/ABPub/2007/11/01/2003988995.jpg[/img]
2007 ACC Champions!
Agreed...a national news reporter shouldn't be calling an area "redneck"...but I live here and I don't see any evidence truly 100% disspelling what she said.
Bad for her and MSNBC because this will be a PR nightmare for them, but in terms of political strategy--I think you'd hear the same thing being said behind closed doors by one side or the other--or even both.
[U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
[U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
Do you expect her to say Obama, or McCain went into "real guido country" when they visits NJ, or NYC though?
The percentages of quality folks versus redneck are just as good or better here as there are quality folk, versus trash every where else in the country as well.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1inStripes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The percentages of quality folks versus redneck are just as good or better here as there are quality folk, versus trash every where else in the country as well.</div></div>
Agreed.
A national news reporter shouldn't be reporting negative stereotypes like that - it has nothing to do with the real story. This woman definitely wasn't thinking. Is the area rural? Is the area predominantly white - she could maybe even get by with that - but redneck??
I'm sure her own hometown has its own collection of stereotypable individuals.
You'll shoot your eye out.
[img]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v635/elp6n/santa.jpg[/img]
She definitely showed off her elitism.
"Call me crazy, but I want to buy the Dallas Cowboys end zone and have the star right at the foot of my bed. That way when I score, I can spike the ball right on the star!" -Woody Paige, Around the Horn 10.9.08
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: elp6n</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A national news reporter shouldn't be reporting negative stereotypes like that - it has nothing to do with the real story.</div></div>
Agreed 100%...but we're naiive if we think that these campaigns don't look at this area this way. McCain hasn't been to this area for probably that reason, and Obama probably came to this area to make us think he doesn't think of us that way--when in all likelihood, they probably do.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> This woman definitely wasn't thinking. Is the area rural? Is the area predominantly white - she could maybe even get by with that - but redneck??</div></div>
Agreed 100% again, she shouldn't be making the assertion on national TV when she's not from around here.
However, that doesn't make her assertion completely baseless or untrue.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm sure her own hometown has its own collection of stereotypable individuals.
</div></div>
Agreed again...she's originally from NYC.
[U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
[U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 1inStripes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Do you expect her to say Obama, or McCain went into "real guido country" when they visits NJ, or NYC though? </div></div>
I don't expect it, but looking around up there sometimes in some areas, it's hard to argue against it.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The percentages of quality folks versus redneck are just as good or better here as there are quality folk, versus trash every where else in the country as well.</div></div>
I've just seen a lot of things here lately that fly in the face of that. There are high quality people in this area, sure enough. But it just seems the more I'm around in this area here & there, the more rednecks I'm seeing who just don't care. I used to be one that would say the exact same thing you just did...but here lately, it's getting really damn hard to defend this area when Cletus is in the corner with his finger so far up his nose he's scratching his brain.
Maybe I've just been to Wal Mart too much here lately...I dunno.
[U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
[U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
She never should have publicly said that. Problem is, that its mostly true.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: burton2019</div><div class="ubbcode-body">She never should have publicly said that. Problem is, that its mostly true.</div></div>
Bingo.
[U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/miami-med.gif[/IMG][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/nohokie-med.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
[U][COLOR=#22229c][IMG]http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b242/btketron/Funny/owmyballs.gif[/IMG][/COLOR][/U]
Bookmarks